Simple Calabacitas. Home » Side Dishes » Simple Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe. You are just a few easy ingredients away from making the most flavorful Calabacitas Con Elote Recipe! Calabacitas is one of the most satisfying dishes you'll come across in Mexican cuisine — and that's Hello Calabacitas!
Ingredients of Simple Calabacitas
- It's 1 of zucchini (cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4" slices).
- You need 1 of yellow squash (cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4" slices).
- Prepare 1 of ear of sweet corn kernels.
- It's 1/4 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt & pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of Mozzerella cheese, shredded.
Tuck it into tortillas for a vegetarian taco or add pork or chicken to make it a main. Calabacitas are all time my favorite. Loaded with onions, peppers, zucchini, corn and tomatoes and Clearly I'll never really grow up. Calabacitas is a delicious side dish that's typical in Mexican kitchens.
Simple Calabacitas instructions
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT cheese. Gently toss to coat.
- Steam veggies for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheese sprinkled on top (I like mine super cheesey!).
- *If you do not have a steamer, you can bring a few cups of water to a boil in a small stock pot. Place veggies in a metal strainer and set atop the pot and cover with a lid (see pic).
- **I discovered calabacitas when I lived in New Mexico. There are several variations, but this is just a simple basic "go grab it out of my garden" version!.
Some people call this dish "Calabacitas" or "Calabacitas Con Queso" but I actually grew up calling them "Colache". Author: Claudya Martinez via My Calabacitas with corn is a favorite of mine. Sometimes I like to add tomato to it as well if I'm serving it. My big sister, who lives in New Mexico, taught me these years ago - it's one of my favorite ways to cook squash - it's simple but packs a flavor punch. Calabacitas is a traditional New Mexican dish made with summer squash and zucchini.