Stuffed baby zucchini in tomato sauce - mehshi koussa. Stuffed Squash In Tomato Sauce Kousa Mehshi Bil Banadoora Kousa is a Middle Eastern dish made with an aromatic spiced beef, rice and onion mixture (stuffing). Fill zucchini with stuffing. (The rice expands and the meat will shrink so fill them all the way). Prepare the sauce: in a frying pan gently fry chopped onion in butter.
Ingredients of Stuffed baby zucchini in tomato sauce - mehshi koussa
- You need 1 kg of baby zucchini, washed.
- Prepare 250 g of coarsely ground beef.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of rice, washed and drained.
- You need 2 of medium tomatoes, cut in cubes.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- You need of - For the sauce:.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- It's 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Prepare 3 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of tomato paste dissolved in ½ cup water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried mint.
- It's 1 teaspoon of salt.
Wash the zucchini in the salted water (this helps to keep them firm when cooking), then drain. Serve the stuffed zucchini with a little of the sauce and a dollop of yoghurt. Lebanese zucchini is tiny and almost sweet; this dish is considered comfort food here and the These are stuffed with either meat and spices, meat and rice, or rice and herbs for a vegan version. The sauce can be either onion and tomatoes stewed, or pomegranate molasses and water.
Stuffed baby zucchini in tomato sauce - mehshi koussa instructions
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. With a corer, pierce the top and remove the insides, making sure to keep a relatively thick outer layer that can hold the stuffing..
- To prepare the stuffing: mix the rice, ground beef, spices and tomatoes. Combine well..
- Fill only ¾ of each zucchini leaving space for the rice to expand when cooked..
- In a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together with 3 cups water and pour them over the zucchini..
- When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat; cover the pan and let it simmer for 1 hr..
- Serve hot with plain yogurt on the side..
An all-star stuffed zucchini recipe with a special Middle Eastern style filling of spiced rice, ground beef w/ tomatoes & fresh herbs! With a knife, remove the very top of the zucchini, then cut each zucchini in half to make shorter zucchini for stuffing. Mix the tomato paste or soup with the water and pour over the zucchini. Turn a heatproof dinner plate upside-down over the zucchini to keep them in place and keep in the steam. Try our easy to follow stuffed zucchini in tomato sauce recipe.