Stuffed vine leaves and zucchini - mehshi warak enab w koussa. Great recipe for Stuffed vine leaves and zucchini - mehshi warak enab w koussa. Baby zucchini and rolled vine leaves are stuffed with a rice and ground meat mix then cooked together along with lamb ribs. An out of this world taste!
Ingredients of Stuffed vine leaves and zucchini - mehshi warak enab w koussa
- You need 500 g of vine leaves, washed and stems removed.
- You need 1 kg of baby zucchini, washed.
- Prepare 1 kg of lamb ribs.
- It's 3/4 cup of lemon juice.
- You need of For the stuffing:.
- You need 600 g of coarsely ground beef.
- It's 1 1/2 cups of white rice, washed and drained.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
Warak Inab Mahshi / Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe In Arabic mahshi means stuffed, and in the Levant almost everything can be stuffed with a vegetarian or meat rice filling from cored zucchini, cored aubergine, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and potatoes to rolled stuffed cabbage, Swiss chard, cauliflower leaves and vine leaves to stuffed chicken and. Line the bottom of your pot with zucchini flesh or grape leaves to prevent sticking then add meat steak preferably with bone (optional). Stuff each zucchini with the meat mixture. In a large skillet, combine the broth, strained tomatoes and the remaining garlic.
Stuffed vine leaves and zucchini - mehshi warak enab w koussa step by step
- In a deep bowl, mix the stuffing ingredients together..
- Place the vine leaves in a pot filled with boiling water for 1 min. Remove from hot water and place under cold water. Strain well and set aside..
- Take one vine leaf and spread it on a flat surface and place 1 teaspoon of the stuffing in the middle forming a straight line. Fold the sides inwards first and roll to warp. Make sure the stuffing is completely covered and the vine leaf is tightly wrapped. Repeat same procedure with the other vine leaves..
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. With a corer, pierce the top and remove the insides, making sure to keep a relatively thick outer layer that can hold the stuffing..
- Fill only ¾ of each zucchini leaving space for the rice to expand when cooked..
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the meat ribs and fry them in a skillet until brown..
- Place the cooked ribs at the bottom of a deep pot..
- Place the wrapped vine leaves over the ribs in layers then place the stuffed zucchini on top of the leaves. Add the lemon juice and some boiling water to cover the pot contents. Place a plate, face inwards, on top of the contents to weigh them down while cooking..
- Cover pot and allow it to simmer on low heat for 1 hr 30 min..
- Turn off the heat and remove the plate. Remove the zucchini and set aside..
- To serve, place a serving dish, facing inwards, over the pot. Turn over the pot upside down, holding tightly the dish under it. Let the content drop on the serving dish and remove slowly the pot. Arrange the zucchini on top..
- Serve warm with yogurt on the side..
Arrange the stuffed zucchini in the skillet. Add more broth or water to thin the sauce. Add the stuffed zucchini and any meatballs and bring to the boil. Serve the stuffed zucchini with a little of the sauce and a. Core the courgettes, rinse and set aside.