Okonomiyaki Japanese savory pancake. Find Deals on Japanese Okonomiyaki in Pantry Staples on Amazon. Okonomiyaki is the famous Japanese savory pancake that is usually cooked at the dining table so you can customize it to your taste. My children loved okonomiyaki growing up - actually, they still love it just as much!
Ingredients of Okonomiyaki Japanese savory pancake
- It's 100 g of flour.
- It's 1/2 teaspoon of Dashi stock powder.
- It's 1 teaspoon of Baking powder.
- You need 100 g of Water.
- You need 1 of Egg.
- It's 1/2 of Sweetheart cabbage.
- You need 1 of Spring onion.
- Prepare of For toppings.
- It's 250 g of Prawns.
- It's of Other toppings examples.
- Prepare of Cheese and sweet corn.
- It's of Bacon.
- It's of Courgette and broccoli.
- Prepare of To serve.
- You need of Okonomiyaki sauce(worcester sauce).
- It's of Mayonnaise.
- It's of Aonori seaweed.
- It's of Dried bonito flakes.
Okonomiyaki literally means 'grilled as you like it', and is made from seasoned flour, cabbage, and various fresh meats and vegetables mixed together and cooked in a frying pan just like a pancake. Okonomiyaki - Japanese Savoury Pancakes + Toppings. For the classic Kansai flavour experience, there are two other mouth-watering toppings we recommend: sprinklings of dried seaweed flakes (aonori) and finely shaved bonito flakes. (Have you ever noticed how bonito flakes curl up and dance when topped over piping hot okonomiyaki? Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients.
Okonomiyaki Japanese savory pancake step by step
- Mix the flour, dashi stock powder,baking powder and the water together and set aside.
- Chop the cabbage and spring onion into fine pieces and add to batter mix..
- Add the egg into the batter mix and mix well until everything is evenly combined. Do not over-mix, this will result in a tough and chewy pancake..
- Heat up a frying pan with a little oil on medium high heat. Pour the okonomiyaki batter into a round pancake shape in the centre of the pan. If using meat, start cooking your meat strips separate from the pancake. Cook the pancake for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is light brown.
- Once the bottom of the pancake is cooked, add any toppings to the top and flip over to finish cooking. Do not press down with a spatula or the pancake will not be light and fluffy. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes and remove from the pan when finished..
- Smother with lashings of okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, sprinkle with bonito flakes, aonori seaweed..
The name is derived from the word okonomi, meaning "how you like" or "what you like" or "favorite," and yaki meaning "grill." Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savoury pancake. It differs by region and this authentic recipe is the well known and mouth-watering Osaka okonomiyaki. Follow this easy savoury pancake recipe and also make your own okonomiyaki sauce, or simply purchase it from a local store. A healthy meal with simple vegetarian or vegan options. Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き, o-konomi-yaki) (listen (help · info)) is a Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients in a wheat-flour-based batter; it is an example of konamon (flour-based Japanese cuisine).