Simple Calabacitas. Start Your Day Right With Our Easy Cheesy Frittata. Calabacitas is one of the most satisfying dishes you'll come across in Mexican cuisine — and that's coming from a stubborn carnivore! It's a vegetarian dish that roughly translates as "zucchini", but you can use all types of squash in this recipe and still get stellar results.
Ingredients of Simple Calabacitas
- Prepare 1 of zucchini (cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4" slices).
- It's 1 of yellow squash (cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4" slices).
- Prepare 1 of ear of sweet corn kernels.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of onion powder.
- It's 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- It's 1 pinch of salt & pepper.
- It's 1 cup of Mozzerella cheese, shredded.
Whether you're spending the summer indoors or out, this Calabacitas recipe will complement whatever you're making for dinner. Add a Recipe User Settings Log Out. A delicious way to get squash in your family's diet. The Best Mexican Calabacitas Recipes on Yummly
Simple Calabacitas instructions
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT cheese. Gently toss to coat.
- Steam veggies for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheese sprinkled on top (I like mine super cheesey!).
- *If you do not have a steamer, you can bring a few cups of water to a boil in a small stock pot. Place veggies in a metal strainer and set atop the pot and cover with a lid (see pic).
- **I discovered calabacitas when I lived in New Mexico. There are several variations, but this is just a simple basic "go grab it out of my garden" version!.
This was a good solid recipe and we enjoyed it and have made it a couple of times. Quick and Easy New Mexico Style Calabacitas. This is a very simple and very traditional recipe New Mexicans have been making generation after generation, and for good reason. This dish is not only easy to make, but it's packed with great flavor and a spicy kick. This Calabacitas recipe is a beloved Mexican vegetable dish made from sauteed zucchini and squash, corn, onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheese.