Simple Ratatouille with Tomatoes and Summer Vegetables. This fresh vegetable medley makes a batch, but it freezes well. Everything is sauteed in batches and then mixed together and chilled or served warm. "My favorite way to serve this ratatouille is with crepes. I also add a mixed green salad on the side, and some French bread with butter.
Ingredients of Simple Ratatouille with Tomatoes and Summer Vegetables
- You need 1 large of Tomato.
- It's 1 of Bell pepper (red or yellow).
- It's 1/2 of Onion.
- Prepare of Summer vegetables of your choice.
- Prepare 1/2 of eggplant, 1/2 zucchini I used eggplant and zucchini.
- Prepare 1 of Olive oil or vegetable oil.
- You need 1 of Grated cheese (optional).
- Prepare of Condiments.
- It's 150 of to 200 ml Vegetable juice.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper (preferably black pepper).
- It's 1 of Consomme soup stock cubes.
- You need 1 tsp of Grated garlic (or garlic powder).
- You need 1 of Herbs of your choice (basil and oregano).
From Provence in the south of France, this simple recipe sings with summer vegetables - eggplant, zucchini, capsicum and tomato. Guillaume likes to cook the vegetables separately first, then combine them to cook to a glorious creamy stew that reminds him of childhood summers spent in Provence. Put all the beautiful summer vegetables in a dish and bake it. Ratatouille uses common vegetables, the zucchini, bell peppers and tomato are available year round here in Southern California.
Simple Ratatouille with Tomatoes and Summer Vegetables step by step
- Dice the vegetables into preferred sizes. Slice the eggplant into rounds..
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add all vegetables except for the tomato. Season with salt and pepper and sauté over medium heat..
- When soft, add tomato and condiments. Simmer over medium heat..
- Simmer to reduce until all the liquid evaporates. Done. Sprinkle grated cheese if you wish..
- Note: Ratatouille goes really well with bread or pasta. Also works with fish or meat..
- Note: Here's a variation; I served it with boiled chicken (and grated cheese)..
Ratatouille, a rustic farm to table style dish is made even heartier with the addition of chickpeas. It's a late summer or early fall recipe for those who appreciate big flavor. Enjoy the delicious Ratatouille with fresh summer vegetables and diced tomatoes. This is a quick balanced meal for those busy mornings. Ratatouille is a traditional French stew of summer vegetables.