Hominy with Peppers and Zucchini. Hominy with Peppers. "This is one of my family's favorite sides. My mother-in-law hated to eat light, but she would devour this when I served it." In a large bowl, combine the peppers, hominy, oil and garlic pepper; toss to coat. A different sidedish using hominy, sour cream, cheese and green chilies.
Ingredients of Hominy with Peppers and Zucchini
- It's 2 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- Prepare 1 of red onion chopped.
- You need 2 of jalapenos minced.
- You need 2 of small zucchini or summer squash.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Italian Seasoning.
- It's 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of granulated garlic.
- It's 2 dash of ground black pepper.
- You need 1 of yellow pepper.
- It's 1 of orange pepper.
- You need 1 (28 ounce) of can hominy.
- You need 1 cup of fresh chopped cilantro.
- Prepare 1 (5.5 ounce) of can sliced black olives.
- It's 1 of optional - top with cheese and chives.
Here, the sweet corn available year-round from the freezer pairs with a handy pantry staple in canned hominy, which is made from a different kind of corn. Hominy is essentially maize kernels that have been dried, soaked and boiled until tender, in a manner similar to how you would prepare dried beans. Because I can't eat soup or stew without throwing in a few veggies, carrots, tomatoes and zucchini are used to flavor the broth and infuse it with a bit of. Saute onion, peppers, and tomato in butter until light brown.
Hominy with Peppers and Zucchini step by step
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onions and the jalapenos. Cook until soft..
- Add the chopped zucchini, salt and pepper and the Italian Seasoning. Cook for a few minutes..
- Chop up the yellow pepper and the orange pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes..
- Strain and rinse the hominy. Drain the olives. Add both to the pan. Cook until warm. And add the cilantro towards the end..
- Options: 1) use 4 ounces of bacon instead olive oil. 2) use bacon bits 3) use cooked chopped ham.
- Option - use frozen corn instead..
Add hominy, liquid, salt, and pepper.. blended and blended and liquids thicken. Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until golden. Stir in the jalapeno peppers and the cumin and saute another few More recipes from Florence Fabricant. Arrange hominy and vegetables on pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings to taste.