Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin. This gratin is the perfect way to use up an abundance of summer squash. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash and shallots. Zucchini and yellow squash are low in calories with a low glycemic index.
Ingredients of Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin
- Prepare 1 of medium zucchini.
- You need 1 of medium yellow squash.
- You need 1 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy cream or whole milk.
- It's 1 tsp. of cornstarch.
- It's 1/2 tsp. of salt, divided.
- It's 1/2 tsp. of pepper, divided.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of dried chives.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp. of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 cup of freshly shredded parmesan.
- You need 1/2 cup of freshly shredded gouda cheese.
The freshness of the zucchini is accented (not hidden) by the addition of cream and cheese. yummers! Potatoes au gratin, potato gratin, scalloped potatoes au gratin, gratin potatoes, potatoes gratin — these are all names used to describe the same For this recipe, I used tricolor fingerling potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, goat's milk, sheep's milk pecorino romano and grass-fed butter to create a. Zucchini and squash au gratin is a quick and delicious casserole that will be a new side dish go-to. Perfect for holidays, summer dinners and a random.
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8" baking pan and set it aside..
- Wash the zucchini and yellow squash, then slice them into coins about 1/4" thick. Place them into a bowl and season them with 1/4 tsp each salt, pepper and oregano. Set aside..
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Once it's melted, add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Then pour in the cream (or milk) and whisk in the cornstarch, the onion powder and 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper and chives. Allow this to come to a simmer and simmer until thickened...just about 2-3 minutes. Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese..
- Lay out the squash in the prepared baking pan. Pour the cream mixture over the top. Sprinkle the gouda evenly over the top..
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the squash is fork tender. Switch your oven to broil and let the cheese brown for 2-3 minutes..
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 5 or so minutes, then serve..
An easy zucchini au gratin recipe that's keto friendly and takes just minutes to prepare. It's a healthier alternative to the high carb potato recipes. A traditional au gratin dish is topped with breadcrumbs, along with cheese. Then it's cooked until perfectly golden brown. It encompasses both zucchini and yellow squash, so it's understandable why so many assume the two are exactly the same except for the shade of their skin.