Candied Zucchini Fruit Snacks (dehydrated/dehydrator). Learn how to easily dehydrate zucchini and other summer squash in a dehydrator or oven. Fortunately, zucchini and other summer squash are among the easiest vegetables to dry in a dehydrator—and dehydrated zucchini and squash will stay tasty and fresh for recipes all year long. Dehydrated zucchini is also easy to add to soups.
Ingredients of Candied Zucchini Fruit Snacks (dehydrated/dehydrator)
- Prepare 4 1/2 cup of dicedd zucchini (peeled and cored) ( about 1/2 inch pieces) (divided into thirds).
- It's 3 envelope of kool aid ( 3 different flavors and colors) ( I used watermelon:pink,.black cherry: dark red, peach mango: yellowish).
- You need 3 cup of granulated sugar divided into thirds.
- It's 12 cup of water divided into thirds.
- You need 4 1/2 tbsp of colored sugar crystals ( color will depend on what color kool aid you use, red for red, green for green, pink for pink, etc.. ( 1.5 tbl. per color).
- You need 1 of food dehydrator.
- Prepare 3 of pots.
- You need 3 small of bowls.
For Carib Sunsations Dehydrated Fruit Snacks: Best Candy Alternative Click here. However, dehydrated fruit will be sweeter than non-dried fruit, since the removal of the water concentrates the sugar in the fruit into a smaller volume and weight. Dehydrating zucchini and summer squash is very easy and do not require much preparation - just wash and lightly scrub them in a cool, clean water. Spread on dehydrator tray lined with non-stick sheets or parchment paper.
Candied Zucchini Fruit Snacks (dehydrated/dehydrator) instructions
- in 3 separate pots place 1 1/2 c. diced zucchini per pot..
- add powder from 1 envelope kool aid per pot. each one a different color/flavor as per ingredients say..
- add 1 cup sugar per pot..
- add 4 cups water per pot. stir well..
- bring to a gentle boil and gently boil for 30 minutes. zucchini is done when tender and the color had soaked through into core of zucchini pieces..
- remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes..
- drain very well, (after draining I placed them on a lint free towel to soak up any additional liquid. kool aid will stain said towel).
- place zucchini onto a food dehydrator. turn it on. thenlet them sit for about 24 hours or until gummy or until dried. they will be sticky..
- let cool. place your colored sugar crystals in 3 separate bowls (each bowl containing a different color 1.5 tbl.).
- place zucchini of same color into matching sugar gently coating your candied zucchini. this gives them a bit of crunch and keeps them from sticking together).
- place your done candied zucchini into a candy bowl and watch the kids eat them up not even knowing it's a vegetable.. :).
- enjoy ( even though this is a vegetable you pretty much boil most if the nutritional value out of it) they are very sweet but very easy to make) great for a project for kids to make provided you help with the boiling aspect).
- I used the as seen on t.v. quick minute microwave food dehydrator I bought at wal mart. this cut down my time and only took me 12-18 minutes to make the whole batch instead of 24 hours...
Dehydrated fruit is a delicious and functional snack you can enjoy the whole year. First, you need to decide which fruit you want to dehydrate. Peaches, apples, plum, berries, apricots, and bananas are a great choice for making a perfect dried snack. The Best Dehydrated Snacks Recipes on Yummly Homemade Zucchini Salt & Pepper Chips.